Despite the impact of COVID-19, we are open and continuing to meet the needs of our existing clients and new clients without interruption or change in the quality of our services. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any concerns, questions or requests for information about your matter. At this time, due to various requirements, we are scheduling consultations and appointments via telephonic and/or video conferencing.

To help out during these trying times we are offering Free Virtual Consultations. Click here to schedule your Virtual Consultation.

Child custody and visitation when divorce is not an issue

Although divorce is the most common scenario in which visitation and child custody rights are sought in New Jersey courts, there are also many situations in which these rights don't relate to the end of a marriage. For example, unmarried couples might seek custody and visitation agreements through the court system. Third parties, often the relatives of the children involved in a custody action, could act on behalf of a child who is suffering from parental neglect or other negative living situations. All states have some form of visitation laws to protect the rights of grandparents as well, which could result in legal action in some cases.

When a custody case involves unmarried parents, sole physical custody is typically awarded to the mother if the father takes no action to the contrary. However, the quality of parenting could play a role in a judge's decision. If a father is the primary caretaker, he might receive custody in case of a dispute. Visitation rights and legal custody may still be awarded to the non-custodial parent. In some cases, parents reach their own agreements without going to court.

When a third-party request for custody occurs, the court may seek information about the relationship between that individual and the child. Additionally, the whereabouts of the parents must be established, and the reason for the request for custody must be provided. Grandparents might seek to obtain visitation rights if a custodial parent is interfering with any efforts to cultivate a relationship with a grandchild.

Because each state's laws are unique, the assistance of a family law attorney is advisable to handle custody or visitation issues across state lines. A custodial party might move with a child to another state to minimize contact between their child and another party, and there might be a need to identify the proper jurisdiction for any formal request to exercise one's parental or grandparent rights.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Set Up A Consultation, Email Our Firm Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

100 Southgate Parkway
Suite 190
Morristown, NJ 07960-6465

Toll Free: 800-465-0163
Toll Free: 800-465-0163
Phone: 973-692-6317
Phone: 973-692-6500
Fax: 973-692-6377
Morristown Law Office Map

Paramus Office
140 E. Ridgewood Avenue
South Tower, Suite 415
Paramus, NJ 07652

Phone: 201-597-6100
Map & Directions

Princeton Office
103 Carnegie Center
Suite 300
Princeton, NJ 08540-6235

Map & Directions

Phone Numbers