Considering the custodial parent option

In New Jersey, the custodial parent is the parent who has the most decision-making responsibilities. The custodial parent is the person who has received formal approval from the court, and a child lives with the custodial parent on a permanent basis. Even so, the noncustodial parent still has the option to maintain an intense involvement in a child's activities.

Physical custody means who the child lives with; a parent may have sole physical custody, or the child may alternate between both parents' households in a joint custody arrangement. Legal custody, on the other hand, means whether parents have decision-making authority over the child's healthcare and education. One important thing to remember is that a person may not necessarily have legal custody of a child simply because the child lives in the same house.

A single mother raising a child without the help of the child's father may need to apply for legal custody of the child in court. A family law attorney may review the laws in the state to find out if the parent is a legal custodial parent. Even if the parent does have legal custodial rights, the child's other parent likely has visitation rights. However, the child lives with the custodial parent and spends a considerable amount of time with said parent, who has a chance to help the child accomplish important tasks. A custodial parent offers their child direction and advice while being responsible for their well-being.

A parent who has recently divorced a spouse needs to ensure that the arranged visitation rights are in the best interests of the child. An attorney may help the child's parents devise an ideal parenting plan for the child.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Set Up A Consultation, Email Our Firm Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

200 Campus Drive, Suite 205
Florham Park, NJ 07932

Toll Free: 800-465-0163
Toll Free: 800-465-0163
Phone: 973-692-6317
Phone: 973-692-6500
Fax: 973-692-6377
Florham Park Law Office Map

Paramus Office
140 E. Ridgewood Avenue
South Tower, Suite 415
Paramus, NJ 07652

Phone: 201-597-6100
Map & Directions

Princeton Office
103 Carnegie Center
Suite 300
Princeton, NJ 08540-6235

Map & Directions

Phone Numbers