Despite the impact of COVID-19, we are open and continuing to meet the needs of our existing clients and new clients without interruption or change in the quality of our services. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any concerns, questions or requests for information about your matter. At this time, due to various requirements, we are scheduling consultations and appointments via telephonic and/or video conferencing.

To help out during these trying times we are offering Free Virtual Consultations. Click here to schedule your Virtual Consultation.

Paying for a child's college when going through a divorce

Going through the divorce process while having a child who is preparing to go to college can make the situation more difficult. However, having a financial plan on how to pay for college on top of the changing finances could help.

On average, college tuition and associated fees are increasing 3 percent every year. While many parents are dedicated to helping their child with these rising costs, going through the divorce process essentially means that parents go from trying to afford one household to paying for two. In some cases, this may mean that the parents can no longer provide the funds for college. In these instances, the child might switch his or her school preferences or look for financial aid options.

Even if a divorce is not on the horizon, parents may help plan for the increasing costs of college. One way that parents can begin putting away money is to start a 529 plan. This type of plan allows parents to ear-mark specific funds for educational uses only. When a child uses the funds that have been saved for appropriate education-related expenses, the money can be used tax-free. During a divorce, the funds that are for education can be left alone when looking at property division.

A noncustodial parent may suddenly be facing spousal support payments and child support payments on top of having to pay for separate housing following divorce proceedings. This change in finances may prevent the noncustodial parent from being able to help with college. While the other parent may want this further assistance, a court cannot require a parent to pay for additional education if he or she cannot afford it. A family law attorney may provide financial statements and other documents that show what the parent is earning.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Set Up A Consultation, Email Our Firm Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

100 Southgate Parkway
Suite 190
Morristown, NJ 07960-6465

Toll Free: 800-465-0163
Toll Free: 800-465-0163
Phone: 973-692-6317
Phone: 973-692-6500
Fax: 973-692-6377
Morristown Law Office Map

Paramus Office
140 E. Ridgewood Avenue
South Tower, Suite 415
Paramus, NJ 07652

Phone: 201-597-6100
Map & Directions

Princeton Office
103 Carnegie Center
Suite 300
Princeton, NJ 08540-6235

Map & Directions

Phone Numbers