Can you withdraw your share of your ex-spouse's 401k?

Divorce can bring with a great deal of uncertainty. You may have no idea where you will live in Florham Park or how you will be able to support yourself. Alimony may be an option (especially if you were not the primary income earner in your marital home), yet such a benefit is not awarded automatically. Plus, monthly alimony payments may not be able to help you if you need immediate funds to put down on a house or apartment, or pay to go back to school or receive vocational training. 

If you are entitled to a portion of you ex-spouse's 401k (or more specifically, the contributions made to their 401k during your marriage), that could turn out to be the source of the money you need. In most cases, people are discouraged from withdrawing from their 401k prior to reaching the age of retirement. Doing so could force you to pay an early withdrawal penalty of up to 10 percent of the fund's total value. Fortunately for you, reports that having a Qualified Domestic Relations Order authorizing payment from a 401k account to an alternate payee (in this case, you) allows you to receive a funds disbursement without having to pay the penalty. 

This may allow you to receive a quick injection of cash immediately following your divorce. Yet withdrawing your portion of a 401k is not a choice to be made lightly. You should remember that by taking the money now, you lose out on the income-generating potential that it offers over time (both through earned interest and investment). Plus, while you can avoid the early withdrawal penalty, you do have to pay income tax on the funds you receive. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Set Up A Consultation, Email Our Firm Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

200 Campus Drive, Suite 205
Florham Park, NJ 07932

Toll Free: 800-465-0163
Toll Free: 800-465-0163
Phone: 973-692-6317
Phone: 973-692-6500
Fax: 973-692-6377
Florham Park Law Office Map

Paramus Office
140 E. Ridgewood Avenue
South Tower, Suite 415
Paramus, NJ 07652

Phone: 201-597-6100
Map & Directions

Princeton Office
103 Carnegie Center
Suite 300
Princeton, NJ 08540-6235

Map & Directions

Phone Numbers